JOIN

Email Newsletter Subscriber Clean-Up

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern November 9, 2017 at 2:01 pm.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

One more change to announce today…

I’ve just cut the email newsletter subscriber list by more than half.

Why?

Simply put, it was long overdue.

All Freelance Writing has undergone a lot of changes over the last year or so. What started as a freelance writing blog expanded a few years back to include more coverage of blogging and indie publishing. That period, when the site was known as All Indie Writers, is when many current members subscribed to the newsletter and blog updates.

The problem? Many of those folks signed up for the indie publishing content, and that’s something not covered here anymore. Cleaning up the list to remove people who were no longer reading these posts is something I’ve been wanting to do ever since the rebranding. It just took me some time to get to it.

On top of that, I pay based on subscriber numbers. I don’t know about you, but I’m not crazy about paying month after month to reach people who aren’t opening the emails they subscribed to anyway. It wasn’t a big deal in this case, but it’s a reason I’d recommend purging your own lists occasionally. The cost adds up month-over-month, and that’s money you can otherwise spend promoting your site and list to people who are actually going to read your content.

Will this affect you?

Hopefully not.

If you subscribed to All Freelance Writing in the past year, it’s highly unlikely you were caught up in that purge.

If you subscribed within the past two years and you’ve opened any of the past five email campaigns sent, you should also be untouched in the list clean-up.

This mostly removed subscribers who signed up years ago AND who haven’t been opening the newsletters or posts they subscribed to.

What happens if you were unsubscribed?

If you’ve subscribed to email updates and you don’t receive one after the next post goes live, you were probably caught up in the email purge. That might be a result of you not reading the several most recent emails that went out. And that’s totally understandable. Life happens and we have other things to worry about.

If you fall into this group, but you’d still like to receive email blog updates or the newsletter (which there will be more of starting in January), you can simply re-subscribe. Easy peasy. Nothing else to it.

This is also a good time to remind you that you can control how often you receive email updates. You can get just the manually-written newsletters that are available to subscribers only. You can get blog email updates every day a new post is published. You can opt for a weekly digest email of all posts from the preceding week. Or you can even choose to receive a monthly digest email of the latest posts. If you’re an existing subscriber, you can choose this by clicking the “update subscription preferences” link at the bottom of any email you’ve received so far, or from the next one you receive.

This is probably also a good time to note that as of January, I’m hoping to have it set up where you can subscribe to email updates from the job board. I’ll be sending current subscribers a survey in the coming weeks about this and other changes to see how they prefer to receive job listings. If you’d like to weigh in on that, you can subscribe now so you get that newsletter.

Jennifer Mattern - Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Owns AllFreelanceWriting.com | Also blogs at: NakedPR.com & BizAmmo.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘News and Announcements’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on Pinterest