Greetings!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lacey November 14, 2016 at 4:26 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

lacey
    Participant

Hello there! (^_^)/

My name is Lacey. I’m not exactly a writer yet. I’m just discovering that some people are actually making money – enough money to work from home – by writing. While nonfiction is not really my thing, I’d definitely write it if it means I could quit at least one of my part-time jobs. At the same time, I’m really nervous about this because I don’t have a college degree.

College just wasn’t for me. On the other hand, though, being a broke author living on ramen noodles and dreams just isn’t any fun.

Currently, I’m in the process of putting together a website, and figuring out what I want to write. Deciding on a niche is super difficult, mainly because I don’t like nonfiction that much. It reminds me too much of those failed, college days.

I hope to get to know some of you. I might have a bunch of questions, but I’ll do my best to see if I can find the answer on my own before I post it here.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Hi Lacey. Welcome to the community. 🙂

You’re always welcome to ask questions!

If fiction is more your thing, remember you can make money there as well. Consider pitching flash fiction or short stories to markets. Or write and sell your work on Amazon. That said, nonfiction will bring in money faster. And you don’t need a college degree to do that, so no worries there. 🙂 If you’re struggling to pick a niche, consider your more creative writing interests and see if there’s a way to work a nonfiction specialty around it while you work on other projects (like reviewing books in the genre you like to write in).

Here are a few posts from the blog that might help:

5 Things to Consider When Choosing a Freelance Writing Niche
    How to Choose a Specialty as a Freelance Writer
    101 Niches to Write About

I hope that gives you somewhere to start. 🙂

Jennifer Mattern - Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Owns AllFreelanceWriting.com | Also blogs at: NakedPR.com & BizAmmo.com

lacey
    Participant

Thanks for the greeting!

Thank you for the links! That’s an interesting idea about pitching flash fiction, and honestly, something I hadn’t even considered! I’ve read about people who a make full time living writing fiction books through self-publishing. It would be awesome if I could. I sent an email off to a freelance writer who also writes fiction – she was very encouraging but told me the majority of her income comes from her freelance work.

And so I thought maybe I need to freelance too… I hope I find success. Writing is about the only good thing I know how to do.

But thanks again for replying!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweet about this on TwitterGoogle+Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on LinkedIn