JOIN

Hello from Portugal

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SteveAndrews July 31, 2017 at 2:17 pm.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

SteveAndrews
    Participant

Hi, Fellow Writers!
    I am an author and freelance writer, singer-songwriter and poet, originally from Wales but now based in Portugal in the Sesimbra area. I have two books about herbs published by Moon Books, and I have written for many publications and websites. I have been ghostwriting articles for an agency for the past two years too, and write about a wide variety of subjects, though my chosen niche would be gardening, wildlife and the environment, and I am a regular contributor to Mediterranean Gardening and Outdoor Living magazine.
    I lived in Tenerife from the end of 2004 until 2014 and used to be a columnist for the Tenerife Weekly and a contributor of articles on many topics to the Tenerife News.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Welcome to the community Steve. 🙂

What’s your focus with herbs? Growing them? Cooking with them? Medicinal herbs? I used to grow quite a lot (I miss my herb garden terribly). I used to use them frequently for cooking as well as making my own natural beauty and cleaning products. And I’m a big proponent of natural remedies. So herbs are a big interest area for me. 🙂

Jennifer Mattern - Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Owns AllFreelanceWriting.com | Also blogs at: NakedPR.com & BizAmmo.com

SteveAndrews
    Participant

Hi Jennifer! Thanks for welcoming me here!
    I am interested in all the wide variety of uses herbs have, and also their part in folklore and belief systems. My first book, which is in its second edition, is entitled Herbs of the Northern Shaman, and it takes a look at herbs that have any form of psychoactive effect, herbs found in the northern hemisphere that have stimulant, antidepressant, sedative,narcotic or hallucinogenic properties. Many herbs have been used in witchcraft, e.g. in “flying ointments,” and also by shamans of tribal people worldwide, others, such as the opium poppy, have found a place in medicine, as well as having been an inspiration for artists and writers, and a source of addiction. In 2004, I gave a talk on this at Glastonbury Festival, an event I have also appeared at as a performer and as an MC in other years. In my second book, Herbs of the Sun, Moon and Planets, I take a look at the system ancient herbalists had of assigning herbs to astrological rulers according to characteristics, e.g. the sunflower is a herb of the Sun because of its golden-yellow petals that radiate out like the rays of the sun, an the water lily is a herb of the Moon because of its associations with water (the tides are controlled by the Moon), and because it has rounded leaves. Herbs of Mars have something aggressive about them because Mars was the god of war. The dragon tree, with sword-shaped leaves and red resin known as dragon’s blood, was regarded as a herb of Mars. I have recently written an article for MyHerbs magazine about Gardening with the Sun and Moon in Mind. I also know a lot about edible plants and foraging, and have written on these subjects for various publications.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on Pinterest