JOIN
A freelance directory price increase is coming. You can still advertise your freelance writing services for a one-time fee of $14.95 through Sunday, July 23rd.
Get your profile today.

Hello from Virginia!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mrswrite March 15, 2017 at 12:36 am.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Alexandra Costello
    Alexandra Costello
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I’m Alex, and I’m excited to be here. I’ve been a fiction writer for years, and I’m currently working on a couple of novels. I’m also trying to get into freelance writing – I’m trying to pay for college – but I’m only just getting started and I’m sure I’ll be asking lots of questions about that! I don’t have a niche yet, or a website. So I’m definitely new to freelancing, and I’ll be looking forward to any advice that veterans might have for me.

Nice to meet you all!

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Hi Alex. Welcome to the community. 🙂

If you let us know what you’d like to start with as far as your freelancing career, I’d be happy to point you in the right direction. 🙂 What’s your priority right now — choosing a niche, getting a site up, figuring out rates, getting samples, etc.?

Jennifer Mattern - Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Owns AllFreelanceWriting.com | Also blogs at: NakedPR.com & BizAmmo.com

Alexandra Costello
    Alexandra Costello
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome!

Right now my priority would be choosing a niche, though any advice in any of the areas you mentioned would be helpful! Finding a niche, though, has been difficult for me, as I don’t even know how to begin finding one! I also would love advice on getting samples. 🙂

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Well, let’s start with your niche and see if we can help you narrow down some options. Then we can look at how you might be able to build a portfolio in that niche:

I’m going to ask you some questions here that will help with brainstorming ideas. You can answer here publicly if you want others to be able to see and weigh in. Or if you’d rather get help privately, feel free to email me instead at jenn@allfreelancewriting.com. 🙂

1. Do you have a degree of any kind? If so, what did you study?
    2. What kinds of hobbies do you spend most of your time on (to see how they might work as niche experience)?
    3. Do you have experience in any particular type of writing — blogging, press releases, feature articles, etc.?
    4. Is there anything in your life or lifestyle that might lend itself to a freelance writing specialty — being a parent, dealing with a certain situation others might relate to (like an illness), something related to the region you live in, pet ownership, etc.)?
    5. Do you have any thoughts on writing for publications vs businesses?
    6. Are you open to the idea of ghostwriting — work that won’t have a byline
    7. What kind of rates are you hoping to charge early on? — This will affect the kinds of clients you can target and which specialties may or may not be lucrative enough.

If you can answer those questions, I can share a list of possible specialty ideas to get you started, and to show you how to look for some of the non-obvious choices that might help you avoid the over-saturated markets.

Alexandra Costello
    Alexandra Costello
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your help! I sent you an email. 🙂

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Thanks Alex. I got your email, and I’ll send you a detailed response there within a day. 🙂

Alexandra Costello
    Alexandra Costello
    Participant

Thanks so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to help. 🙂

Gonzalo Mazzini
    Participant

Hello,
    My name is Gonzalo and I am new to freelance as well. I am hoping I can build a career out of the magic of words. I read the questions you posted, Jennifer, and they seem legit questions to make before getting started. If I send my answers to your email, would you be so kind to help me out?

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Sure Gonzalo. 🙂 If you send your answers, I’ll give them a look as soon as I have time next week.

laurapatterson
    Participant

Hello Alexandra! nice to see you here.

Laura Patterson
    Academic and Business Term Paper Writer
    paperwritten.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweet about this on TwitterGoogle+Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on LinkedIn