November 22, 2016 at 10:53 am #34059
I’m Alex, and I’m excited to be here. I’ve been a fiction writer for years, and I’m currently working on a couple of novels. I’m also trying to get into freelance writing – I’m trying to pay for college – but I’m only just getting started and I’m sure I’ll be asking lots of questions about that! I don’t have a niche yet, or a website. So I’m definitely new to freelancing, and I’ll be looking forward to any advice that veterans might have for me.
Nice to meet you all!November 22, 2016 at 11:47 am #34061
Hi Alex. Welcome to the community. 🙂
If you let us know what you’d like to start with as far as your freelancing career, I’d be happy to point you in the right direction. 🙂 What’s your priority right now — choosing a niche, getting a site up, figuring out rates, getting samples, etc.?November 22, 2016 at 12:25 pm #34062
Thanks for the welcome!
Right now my priority would be choosing a niche, though any advice in any of the areas you mentioned would be helpful! Finding a niche, though, has been difficult for me, as I don’t even know how to begin finding one! I also would love advice on getting samples. 🙂November 22, 2016 at 8:59 pm #34064
Well, let’s start with your niche and see if we can help you narrow down some options. Then we can look at how you might be able to build a portfolio in that niche:
I’m going to ask you some questions here that will help with brainstorming ideas. You can answer here publicly if you want others to be able to see and weigh in. Or if you’d rather get help privately, feel free to email me instead at email@example.com. 🙂
- Do you have a degree of any kind? If so, what did you study?
- What kinds of hobbies do you spend most of your time on (to see how they might work as niche experience)?
- Do you have experience in any particular type of writing — blogging, press releases, feature articles, etc.?
- Is there anything in your life or lifestyle that might lend itself to a freelance writing specialty — being a parent, dealing with a certain situation others might relate to (like an illness), something related to the region you live in, pet ownership, etc.)?
- Do you have any thoughts on writing for publications vs businesses?
- Are you open to the idea of ghostwriting — work that won’t have a byline
- What kind of rates are you hoping to charge early on? — This will affect the kinds of clients you can target and which specialties may or may not be lucrative enough.
If you can answer those questions, I can share a list of possible specialty ideas to get you started, and to show you how to look for some of the non-obvious choices that might help you avoid the over-saturated markets.December 7, 2016 at 4:21 pm #34277
Thanks a lot for your help! I sent you an email. 🙂December 8, 2016 at 12:39 am #34284December 8, 2016 at 3:41 pm #34300
Thanks so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to help. 🙂February 9, 2017 at 4:26 pm #34828
My name is Gonzalo and I am new to freelance as well. I am hoping I can build a career out of the magic of words. I read the questions you posted, Jennifer, and they seem legit questions to make before getting started. If I send my answers to your email, would you be so kind to help me out?February 17, 2017 at 10:35 pm #34871February 28, 2017 at 2:44 am #34906
The forum ‘Introduce Yourself’ is closed to new topics and replies.