JOIN

My Introduction

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern July 17, 2017 at 6:48 am.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

humeston
    Participant

The only consistent thing in my life has been my love of writing. I allowed life to get in the way and did not succeed in developing this passion much. A few flash fiction stories, some articles for professional organizations, but tons of poetry, articles, short fiction and parts of novels that I wrote but never had the time to do anything with.

I left my job June 30th, 2017 for what I am calling a one year sabbatical from the rat race. A time to reboot, refresh, rediscover what is important and to chart a new direction. Examining my life it is clear writing holds a special meaning to me, so I hope to be able to pursue this passion on a professional basis.

Decades ago finding writing markets was relatively easy since there were so few. The Writer’s Digest book was a good enough tool. Today though, there is so much on the internet that it is challenging to sort through the BS, the people making money by tossing up writer’s websites, the fly by night sites and so forth that I wonder if I have the patience to stick it out long enough to find markets for my words.

I was impressed by this website’s history, and the promise to not coddle me. Hopefully I can find some markets and guidance here.

Thanks,

Dart Humeston
    Florida on way to Idaho

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

Welcome to the community Dart. 🙂

Good timing on finding the site. My big project for these next couple of weeks is moving the market directory to a new platform, reviewing and updating everything in there, and adding a new collection of listings. So keep an eye on that as there will be more changes than usual coming.

It sounds like you’re at the start of what I hope proves to be an exciting journey. I can relate to some of your sentiments about “rebooting” and rediscovering what’s important. I’m going through a bit of the same, and the recent redesign and other upcoming changes here are a part of that for me. So I hope the effort proves useful in your market hunt. 🙂

What kinds of markets are you looking for right now? Any specific type of writing you want to publish or niches you’re looking to specialize in?

Jennifer Mattern - Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Owns AllFreelanceWriting.com | Also blogs at: NakedPR.com & BizAmmo.com

humeston
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome Jennifer. My writing interest is pretty wide but trying to narrow it somewhat. While I have 14 chapters of a novel complete, a detective mystery, I have been most successful with flash fiction. I’ve had three stories published in online magazines, although nothing too prestigious. Just those with token payment. I like the challenge of creating a fast paced story that concludes within the short space allowed.

I’m also interested in finding a market for short personal essays, humor and perhaps even articles. I’ve worked in higher education as an administrator and adjunct faculty for the last 25 years so have a few helpful articles in mind for that.

But flash fiction is holding my interest the most at this time.

Best wishes for your redesign too!

Dart

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

I’m with you there. I love writing flash fiction, though I’ve not pitched any. Instead I put a few rough ones on a site under one of my pen names, more or less for practice with the format. But if you’re looking to pitch, here’s a site you might find helpful.

WritingCareer.com Homepage

I sometimes curate their listings to the job board here (separate from the market directory which are longer-term markets to pitch). But I do that more for article markets since most folks here write nonfiction as freelancers rather than fiction. You might find some good opportunities there, and they update often. 🙂

The easiest option in the market database here is just to search for “flash.” Then those markets will come up. I can see there aren’t a huge number in there now, so I’ll make it a point to add them as I update the database. I’m sure there are plenty of new markets that’ll turn up since my last update. 🙂

Thanks for the well-wishes. The design is done, thankfully! 🙂 Just working on the platform migration yet on the back-end. Then I’ll get back to more regular blogging and market additions for the front-end of the site. The work is never finished. 🙂

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

There happened to be one there today that might interest you. They’re accepting poetry, flash fiction, short stories, and essays.

‘Opossum’ Literary Magazine Calls for Prose and Poetry Submissions – Pays $200/story

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInPin on Pinterest