Should I try traditional publishing?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Mattern March 26, 2016 at 10:45 am.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alicia Rades
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m just posting this to get your opinions. So far, all of my books have been independently published. I have a romance novel I think could turn into something good with a little bit more work. Given its genre, it’s a bit easier to find publishers for the book, so I thought I might use it as a “test subject” for trying out traditional publishing. (The publisher I’ve had my eye on is Avon Impulse.)

Still, a little voice in the back of my mind is saying that I’d rather publish independently. And I know that if it doesn’t get accepted by a traditional publisher, I can still independently publish. Might you offer some words of wisdom to help me decide which way to go?

Thanks!

Alicia

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

If you’re feeling torn between the two options, my suggestion would be to target and query some agents. They’ll be able to give you more insight into whether or not your book is a good fit for traditional publishers, and ideally you’ll be able to get feedback from agents who have worked with the publisher you’re interested in. And while you’re querying agents, there’s nothing stopping you from preparing to self publish. Still work on your marketing plan for example and start drumming up interest in the book if possible. Not only will that put you in a good place if you self publish, but it could also be attractive to publishers.

Jennifer Mattern - Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Owns AllFreelanceWriting.com | Also blogs at: NakedPR.com & BizAmmo.com

Alicia Rades
    Participant

Thanks, Jenn. You’re always a big help. 🙂

MelanyGrand
    MelanyGrand
    Participant

What works better: e-publishing or traditional?
    Taking into account the resources involved.

Jennifer Mattern
    Keymaster

By traditional do you mean through a traditional publisher (in which case it’s not really a choice — traditional publishers e-publish as well), or do you mean e-publishing vs print publishing (in which case, e-publishing has lower cost of entry, but there’s no reason you can’t do both)?

Jennifer Mattern - Professional Blogger, Freelance Business Writer, Author

Owns AllFreelanceWriting.com | Also blogs at: NakedPR.com & BizAmmo.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for sharing!
Tweet about this on TwitterGoogle+Share on FacebookPin on PinterestShare on LinkedIn