One of my favorite types of freelance writing that I've covered here on the blog is writing for trade magazines. In my case, more specifically, I ghostwrite feature articles for trade publications on behalf of businesses. In that situation, the business pays me, I write the article (which they've often gotten approval for from the publication previously), and it's published under my client's byline. It can be lucrative work as these businesses often pay more than the trade magazines pay freelancers.
Whether that sounds like something you'd like to do, or you'd prefer to query and write for the trade magazines directly, they can be a great way to get a foot in the door writing for magazines. Would you like to learn more about freelance writing for trade magazines and similar industry-specific publications? Then take some time this weekend to give these articles a read.
- How to Write for Trade Magazines in Any Industry -- By Linda Formichelli at The Renegade Writer
- How do I Break Into Trade Magazine Writing -- By Michelle Rafter at WordCount
- How to Write for Trade Magazines -- By Anne Wayman at About Freelance Writing
- Garber on Business: Breaking Into Trade Magazine Writing -- By Anne Garber at EvanCarmichael.com
- Tips on Getting Published in Trade Magazines (Interview With Melissa Breau) -- By Denene Brox at Freelance-Write-Now.com
- Writing for Business Publications -- By Tina L. Scott at TheDabblingMum.com
- Secrets of a Trade Editor -- By Melissa Breau at Diary of a Mad Freelancer
- Breaking Into Trade Magazines in Two Easy Steps -- By Laura M. Talley at LauraMTalley.com
- Writing for Trade Magazines -- 7 Tips for Freelance Writers -- By Laurie at The Adventurous Writer
- Is Corporate Ghostwriting for Trade Publications Right for You? -- By Cathy Miller at About Freelance Writing
Do you have any tips or stories you'd like to share about freelance writing for trade magazines? Leave a comment and tell us about them.
- Why You Should Diversify Your Writing Income (& 5 Ways to do It) - March 16, 2021
- How the PRO Act Could Hurt Freelance Writers (& What You Can do About It) - March 2, 2021
- Revenue Sharing 2.0 (& Why it Still Sucks for Writers) - February 26, 2021