We don't post regular one-off freelance writing jobs here at All Freelance Writing anymore because of the slim pickings for good gigs and because we want to encourage our readers to go out there and find the best gigs they can. But some freelance writing markets still do advertise and still do pay decent rates. These are generally ongoing markets (like magazines or websites with constant need for new material and new freelance writers). Today I wanted to highlight a few examples from our directory of writers' markets that pay $1000 per article or more.
- Entrepreneur Magazine -- Pays up to $1.00 per word.
- FamilyFun Magazine -- Pays up to $1.25 per word (1000 - 3000 word travel features).
- The Progressive -- Pay is up to $1300 for investigative reporting for this left-wing political monthly.
- Sierra Magazine -- Pays $.75 per word for features (up to 5000 words).
- The Sun Magazine -- Pays up to $2000 for essays and interviews, and up to $1500 for fiction.
If you haven't checked out our writers' market directory yet, please do. We list all levels of paying freelance writing markets there, with rates detailed in the summary in many cases. We only feature publications that list their writers' guidelines publicly online so you can always access their most up-to-date information (no "so-and-so says" stuff is included here). And keep checking back. We'll continue to add new paying writers' markets periodically. In fact, I'll make it a point to add a few more $1000+ markets in there later today. If you have a favorite market that you'd like us to list, you can leave a comment or email me a link to the publication's writers' guidelines.
EDIT: As promised, I added another five writers' markets to our directory today -- all with the potential for you to earn $1000+ per article.
Jenn has 18 years experience writing for others, around 13 years experience in blogging, and over 10 years experience in indie e-book publishing. She is also an Active member of the Horror Writers Association.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- Weekend Reading: Market Research for Freelance Writers - January 20, 2018
- Bullshit Freelance Writing Advice (Why Writers Believe It & What You Really Need to Know) - January 19, 2018
- Reader Question: How Can Freelance Writers Sell Poetry & Fiction? - January 16, 2018
- Weekend Reading: 5 Posts on Personal Branding - January 12, 2018
- Reader Question: Will Being a Weekend Warrior Turn Off Freelance Writing Clients? - January 10, 2018