Personal data collected (& why it is collected)
MediaIf you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
Contact formsAll data shown in a contact form is collected through the website and forwarded to the website owner's email address. This may include your name, email address, content of your message, and any other data provided by you.
Other formsAt times this website will use additional forms for data collection (such as "interview" forms for profile blog posts, guest post submission forms, survey forms, or other forms tied to website features). All data shown in each form is collected through the website and may be saved to the database and / or forwarded to the website owner. This may include your IP address, allowing the website owner to track abuse and related problems when users are able to post content to the database.
CookiesIf you leave a comment on this site cookies can save your name and email address. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year. If you visit the login page, the website will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser. If you log in, the website will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select "Remember Me", your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed. If you edit or publish content to the website, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day. You have the ability to disable and delete cookies in your web browser's settings.
AdvertisementsA variety of advertisements may be included in different sections of the site, or within certain posts or pages.
- Google's use of advertising cookies enables it and its partners to serve ads to users based on their visit to sites on the internet.
- Users may opt out of personalized advertising by visiting Ads Settings.
- Affiliate links and related ads may include tracking code that allows advertisers to track conversions based on views and clicks (which determines the compensation paid to this site's owner).
Digital Product Sales
When you make a purchase, such as an e-book, your information submitted will be processed through a third-party service that handles payment processing and digital product delivery. This service is currently E-junkie. See how E-junkie handles user and customer data.
Digital product sales and other orders (such as job board ads) are processed via PayPal, meaning users do not submit credit card information directly to this site. Read PayPal's privacy statement to learn more about how they collect and use data.
Where your data is sent
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service. Data is sent to a third party email marketing service if you choose to subscribe to the mailing list. Data is sent to a third party digital product delivery service to deliver downloadable goods a user orders. Data is sent to PayPal, which processes any payments for digital products or online advertisements purchases. And data is sent to / processed through an analytics service to help the website owner better understand how visitors use this website.
How long your data is retainedIf you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so the site and related tools can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a manual moderation queue. For users that register on the website (limited to authors, job board advertisers, and writer directory profile advertisers), personal information provided in their user profile will also be stored. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username or directly close an account). Website administrators can also see and edit that information or delete accounts on request when data associated with them doesn't need to be retained.
What rights you have over your dataIf you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data held about you in the website's database. This will include information such as your user account's email address, profile information you entered, your session details, comments posted, and media items uploaded from your account.
What Data May be Removed on Request
- User accounts (if no data associated with them is required to be retained)
- Job ads posted by a user (no refunds will be granted)
- Writer profiles in the Freelance Writer Directory (no refunds will be granted)
What Data Will Not be Removed on Request
- Transaction data (anything necessary for tax compliance or other legal and administrative purposes)
- *Blog comments (to protect the free expression of ideas, no comments are removed once they become part of the public conversation; however, users may request to have their past comments anonymized, having their names replaced with an appropriate handle of their choice, or having names removed with an editorial note added to comments to reflect that)
- Media uploaded by a user that is still necessary for the course of business (such as a site author uploading media files for their blog posts)
- Data related to email list subscriptions and unsubscribe requests (required for legal protection and technical troubleshooting should a user claim to continue receiving emails from a list after unsubscribing)
- Analytics data (non-personally-identifiable data necessary in the running of an online publication and making informed business decisions, also retained for security purposes such to identify resource abuse, unauthorized access or hacking attempts, or to address abusive behavior on the site.
- Blog posts submitted to the site (where publication rights have already been granted; blog posts may be removed, merged, or edited at an editor's discretion for quality improvements or other editorial purposes; exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis on request)
Please note, if you're requesting data or data removal of any kind, you must contact the site owner at the address provided from an email address associated with the data being requested. Requests from those with no data in the system will not receive a response. This is to ensure no third party can request to access or remove any other user's data.
- All Freelance Writing is a US-based website catering to a US-based audience, though it is freely-accessible online.
- All Freelance Writing does not actively market to EU residents or address EU-specific freelancing issues.
- All Freelance Writing only offers products and services for sale in USD; any payments in other currencies are handled via conversions between a user and their payment provider.
- All Freelance Writing has no business establishment or presence in the EU.
- Analytics tracking data uses anonymized IP addresses through Google Analytics, though IP addresses will be retained in server logs for security purposes. This server-side data is retained for one full calendar month beyond the date the activity was logged.
Any requests related to GDPR must come from those physically located within the EU, subject to its protections. Requests citing GDPR from those outside the EU will not receive a response unless a request for specific data as per this set of policies is received. This is not an acknowledgment that All Freelance Writing is subject to GDPR. But the same data export and removal request policies listed above will apply for requests received related to GDPR. Requests related to GDPR can also be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.