It's that time of year again when goal-setting and dreams of new achievements fill people's minds. I'm no exception, and that's why I shared my overall writing resolutions previously on my freelance writing blog. For me those resolutions include freelance writing goals, Web publishing goals, and publishing goals for books and e-books. Today I'd like to share that last group of resolutions with you and invite you to share your book writing and publishing plans for the New Year.
My 2013 Writing and Publishing Goals
The bulk of my work on books and e-books this year will be on the writing and editing side (with several publication dates expected early the following year after professional editing and design work is completed).
- Finish drafting the first novel in my Murder Scripts mystery novel series, under my Aria Klein pen name.
- Finish the first draft of the second novel in that same mystery series.
- Finish drafting my first horror novel (largely being adapted from a rough screenplay format) under my A.J. Klein pen name.
- Create and release the first Murder Scripts game (an ancillary product tied to the mystery series).
- Draft the manuscripts for four short children's books under my Poppy Andersen pen name.
- Choose an illustrator for those books (art is another passion of mine, so I might do it, but I don't expect to have the time).
- Release at least three Query-Free Freelancer information product style e-books.
- Finish my next draft of The Query-Free Freelancer manuscript (print book).
- Choose a professional editor for The Query-Free Freelancer.
- Draft the first short story for a collection to be continued in 2014.
It will be a busy year on all fronts of my business. But that's where planning comes in handy. I usually set lofty goals knowing that if I don't push myself hard, nothing will get done. So chances are good some of these things will get bumped. But if I mapped things out reasonably well, most will be completed as planned. And that's something I'm excited about. I'm determined to make this the best year ever for me professionally, and when I put my mind to something, very little can get in my way.
How about you? What are you working on in 2013? Are you hoping to self publish your first e-book? Draft your first novel? Publish a collection of poetry? Win a particular writing award? Tell us about it in the comments.