Today I'm going to give you a quick tip for better query-free freelancing: give things away for free!
People love freebies. If they feel they'll get something for nothing, they'll often stop and take notice even if they would have otherwise passed you by. Freebies are especially important during growth phases where you're trying to expand your visibility or reach within your target market.
To use freebies effectively, they need to do something for you. For example, they might:
- Give people something to talk about (getting them to spread the word)
- Direct people to a paid product or service of yours
- Have your name attached to help build general exposure or authority status
Your freebies don't have to do all of those things. Even one will suffice. Just figure out what your goals are, and how freebies might help you meet those goals.
What kind of freebies can you give away as a freelance writer? Here are a few examples:
- Advice on blogs
- Articles for republication
- White papers
- Templates (either for other writers or for your clients' industry)
My favorite types of freebies are e-books, reports, and white papers, but as you know if you're a member here I also give away templates. What's your favorite freebie (either to give or receive) when it comes to freelance writing?