It's time for my first quarterly evaluation for my business. While I evaluate my progress on specific goals more frequently, I use my quarterly evaluations to review my longer-term plans and resolutions.
So far things are going pretty well. But, as usual, I need to make some changes.
Progress So Far
Here are some of the things I can check off my yearly to-do list:
- Overhaul content on my service site (new service page, copy edits, and rate changes).
- Launch WritingForBloggers.com.
- Start promoting the Online Learning Hub brand (a rebranding for another site).
- Launch my last author website.
- Finish BizAmmo.com blog content audit.
- Re-launch All Indie Publishing.
- New design / theme customizations for my genealogy blog.
- Draft the first short story in a new collection.
- Give my assistant more responsibilities and more writing work to help out.
- Incorporate new business branding into existing sites.
So far so good. Even better, I'm currently making progress on several other big goals for this year including:
- Publishing a white paper or report targeting prospective clients -- I'm drafting this now.
- Overhauling the job board at AFW -- I'm setting up a new ad strategy and testing the new platform now.
- Launching self-paced e-courses at AFW -- Three of these are outlined, one is being drafted, and I purchased and installed the e-course delivery platform.
- Finishing the AFW blog content audit -- This is a long process, but I plug away at it every week. It should be completed in the next month or two.
- Drafting manuscripts for four short children's books -- The first is finished and waiting on me to choose the right editor.
- Re-branding / re-releasing the boot camp e-book here at AFW -- it's being redesigned now, although taking much longer than I'd like.
Overall, I'm happy with my progress in the first quarter this year. But like I mentioned before, there need to be some changes. Those largely revolve around Web development and site launches, but I'm also making changes to my three-year publishing plan which will affect my goals.
- My plan was to launch more new blogs this year including DIYProjectIdeas.com, GardenAndFood.com, LiveWorkOrganize.com, and an Internet marketing blog. These aren't being completely removed from my list, but they're being generalized a bit. My goal is to launch three new sites by the end of the year, on top of ones already launched. One of those will be a big site launch that merges a few existing ones (I won't be sharing details on that until it's ready). These might be included in that list. Or I might move forward with other domains I have. I'm still hoping to get GardenAndFood.com up though, because I've been having contributors create the initial content. It just involves more extensive design changes than others.
- I was planning to work with my husband on the back-end of an author resource site this year, for a 2014 launch. This is being put on the back burner for now. Hubby's busy between his day job, running his own business, and helping me out with other development projects. And I'm too busy with this other big site merger / launch to handle another launch that big.
- The first horror novel might not be drafted this year. That's because I've opted to pursue short stories in the genre first. The first is drafted. I'm editing it now and will send it off to an editor after my rewrites are finished. I'm publishing these individually in e-book form, and hope to release an e-book and print book collection either late this year or early next year.
- I don't see any hope of me finishing the second Murder Script game (tied to a mystery series I'm working on). I'll be lucky to finish the first.
Those are the big changes from the original list I posted here. Other than that, I'll be tweaking the month-to-month publishing plan.
How is your year shaping up so far? Are you on track to reach your goals, or are you making any changes? Tell us about your quarterly check-in in the comments below.