Princess Jones is back at it again, co-hosting the All Freelance Writing Podcast. OK. She pretty much ran the show. But that's why we had so much fun with this one.
We chatted about fear and confidence issues writers often deal with.
Listen now. (Extended cut)
*Note: This episode contains explicit language. Also, if you prefer the shorter version you can find it at the bottom of the show notes page.
If you're a new writer and think experienced pros don't remember what these things feel like, guess again.
Princess and I share some of our own biggest fears and struggles with confidence ranging from a fear of rejection and fear of judgment over our fiction to how body image issues can affect writers. And we offer plenty of tips on coping with these things.
In this episode you'll hear:
- The fiction genres Princess and I experience the most fear working in;
- What book / author Princess and I both love and recommend to freelance writers;
- Tips on getting over the fear of cold calling as a freelancer;
- What 90s movie Princess says you should never watch, but which offers a valuable lesson to writers;
- A story about a terrible reality TV show involving throwing "babies" in front of cars (I swear there's a lesson in it);
- Why we both love a certain no-BS colleague (plus see a "puppet" Princess made of this writer for when she needs someone to tell her "no" on the show notes page);
- A tip on improving confidence when dealing with clients coming out of public speaking experience;
- The little trick I use to land almost every contract I've set up a phone call to discuss (including a 100% success rate with male prospects over the phone);
- Some terrible examples of "faking it 'til you make it" (and how to do it right to boost your confidence);
- An ongoing "debate" over the merits of telling little white lies in the interest of your writing career (hint: for the first time ever, the show notes had to feature a disclaimer);
- Laughing. A lot of laughing. Princess is a hoot.
A big "thank you" to Jake Poinier of DoctorFreelance.com as well who gave us a shout out in his latest video on imposter syndrome and freelance creatives after listening to our pre-release extended cut of the show. According to Jake, this podcast episode is "required listening." So listen to your doc. Check it out.
- Why You Should Diversify Your Writing Income (& 5 Ways to do It) - March 16, 2021
- How the PRO Act Could Hurt Freelance Writers (& What You Can do About It) - March 2, 2021
- Revenue Sharing 2.0 (& Why it Still Sucks for Writers) - February 26, 2021