The New Year will be here before you know it, and there's no time like the present to prepare for it. Recently I shared three things to do this December to close out the current year. For this week's quick tips, let's expand upon that with some easy things you can do now that will have you ready to hit the ground running after the holidays, getting your New Year off to a successful start.
Here are ten super-simple things you can do ahead of time to kick 2015 off right:
- Update your client files (archiving things you won't need any time soon, updating contact info, or creating new files for the New Year).
- Clean and organize your office, desk, or other work space. Come into a fresh environment on January 2nd (or whenever you come back to work after the holiday).
- Update (or create) your editorial calendar if you run a blog.
- Line up January's freelance projects if you haven't already (or further out if you can).
- Map out a writing, editing, and publishing schedule for your next book or e-book.
- Clean up your computer's filing system.
- Make any business purchases you want the tax deduction for this year (it's a good time to purchase year-long services that can help you grow your business for example).
- Download and review any data that can help you make better decisions for January (blog traffic, conversion numbers, email subscribers, etc.).
- Set new goals as appropriate and update both your long-term plans and your regular to-do lists so you can jump right in after the holiday.
- Read a new book that can help you grow your writing business in the New Year.
I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas I'm missing here, so now it's your turn. Tell me what you're doing between now and January 1st, and how it's going to prepare you for a more successful new year.