One of the biggest perks of freelancing is the fact that we can set our own schedules. But how should you set that schedule? How do you determine what your working hours will be?
My "normal" working hours are 5:00 am - 12:00 pm, Monday through Thursday. But that doesn't mean I always stick to that, especially now that I have my husband's schedule to think about. Despite that, it's my best working time, and my goal is to get back to it 100% in the near future.
That doesn't mean your best working hours will be the same. There are a number of things that can influence your choice of working hours. For example, you might consider:
- The hours you're most alert or able to focus on work;
- "Quiet hours" (very important for me due to a neighbor who causes extreme levels of noise frequently);
- Choosing hours when family and friends are less likely to stop by;
- Your immediate family members' schedules (from a child's school schedule to your spouse's work schedule);
- Other obligations you have (such as full-time or part-time jobs, school, or volunteer work);
Do these things come into play when setting your own freelance work schedule? Which ones? Are there other factors in your case? Tell us about them so other freelancers can decide how to choose their optimal working hours too.