Can you believe it? All Freelance Writing is 10 years old this month. Since November of 2006, I've been helping new writers build successful writing careers through better business and marketing practices.
You may have noticed a lack of updates here recently. That's because I've been busy working on some new things on the back-end. So think of today as a sort of re-launch. A new look. A "new" attitude. And plenty of new content will be coming your way.
What's Coming This November?
I decided against the gimmick route to celebrate these 10 years. That's not what I want you to get from this site. I want you here because you find value in the content and resources.
You'll find plenty of that this November with at least one piece of new content every single day this month. We'll have:
- Updates on some of the most popular resources on the site (plus new ones!);
- Guests for blog interviews, four podcasts, a guest post or two, and a fun round-up (expect to see people like Peter Bowerman, Sharon Hurley Hall, Anne Wayman, Lori Widmer, Philippa Willitts, Francesca Nicasio, Susan Johnston Taylor, and more);
- If you were around when All Freelance Writing was still All Freelance Writing, and when I had a team of regular contributors, you may see some familiar faces -- four of our former regulars are going to share their stories of where they are now and what they've been up to in recent years;
- New resources (one or two premium ones, but also some freebies);
- I'll be unlocking ALL freebies (no more email subscription requirements for anything; again, I want you subscribing for the value you find, not just for freebies);
- More unique newsletter content will start going out, so sign up for email updates if you don't want to miss any tips to help you market your writing business (and more). Over 5000 of your fellow writers already have;
- A couple of new blog series will be launching -- I'll announce them each with their first posts.
There will be a heavy focus on more experienced writers (especially freelancers) here this month -- partly because of the 10-year anniversary, and partly because of my constant battle against the BS "insta-expert" trend other writers and marketers have been pushing and exploiting recently.
There will also be some technical and copy changes. But I won't bore you with that here. You can read about it in the site announcements over on the forum.
How You Can Get Involved
Would you like to get involved in the fun this month? Here are a few ways you can:
- Not a member yet? Join and get involved in the community. It's free! Ask questions. Share your tips and stories. And get to know your fellow writers;
- Subscribe via email so you don't miss any of the anniversary content coming this month.;
- Submit a reader question, and it might be answered on the blog this month (or on the blog or podcast even after -- I'm always open to these);
- If you've been a professional writer for 10 years or more, consider submitting a guest post about your experience. This month, I'm especially interested in stories about what's changed over the years in your industry, niche, or genre and how you've coped with those changes (or made the most of them). Just know I don't accept many guest posts. You have a far better chance if I know you well already (in which case, shoot me an email instead of using the form linked here);
- Help spread the word by sharing this post or other content this month with your network.
If you can think of another way you'd like to be involved, contact me with your ideas and I'll let you know if I think it's a good fit (but please, no blatant promotions; I won't be pushing any products, services, communities, courses, etc. that I don't personally use and feel comfortable recommending).
I want to thank my "go-to gals" -- Lori Widmer, Yolander Prinzel, and Cathy Miller -- for their feedback on some of the design changes. And a huge thank you to Edward Beaman for all of his help and insight leading to some of the bigger changes coming around here. You're all much appreciated, and I couldn't have done it without you.
Tomorrow I'll take a look back on the last 10 years to share my story and some of the lessons I've learned with you. Remember to check back every day this month for new and improved content, site features, resources, and guests. Better yet, subscribe via email and all the new content will be delivered right to your inbox.
Jenn has 18 years experience writing for others, around 13 years experience in blogging, and over 10 years experience in indie e-book publishing. She is also an Active member of the Horror Writers Association.
Subscribe to the All Indie Writers newsletter to get personal updates from Jenn in your inbox.
Latest posts by Jennifer Mattern (see all)
- How to Identify Blog Comment Spam - November 1, 2017
- The Sitting / Standing Desk Combo That Eases My Back and Neck Pain - September 13, 2017
- Freelance Writing When You Just Don’t Give a Damn - September 11, 2017
- Review of Peter Bowerman’s Well-Fed Craft - June 28, 2017
- Why Don’t Some Writers Take Time Off? (And Why You Should) - June 12, 2017